Hide Search
Clear Filters
Clear Filters

Bedrooms and Bathrooms



Clear Filters
Clear Filters

Health & Safety

Home | Let your cottage | Health & Safety

Complying with current holiday home regulations: There are certain standard and requirements that need to be met when offering your Holiday Cottage for commercial Self Catering Holiday Letting purposes. The below serves as a guide only and you will need to keep abreast of current requirements. Choice Cottages will be happy to work with you in this regard.


The Law requires furnished accommodation must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 and 1993). This applies to all upholstered furniture, beds, headboards, mattresses, sofa beds, cushions and pillows. It Does not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950. See also | Furnishing & Equipment.


The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 are extensive but particularly require all electrical systems in the property are maintained so as to avoid danger to all who use the premisses. This applies to portable appliances as well as installation. Most insurance companies will assist on this.

Gas safety

From 1 June 2009, Gas Safe register replaces the Corgi as the organisation responsible for gas safety in Great Britain. you are responsible for the safety of your guests. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998 requires annual testing of all gas appliances by the corgi registered installer and all records must be kept for 2 years.

Risk assessments

Carrying out a risk assessment is an important step in protecting your guest and your property management, as well as complying with the law. It helps you focus on the risks that really matter in your holiday cottage, the ones with potential to cause real harm, that means simple cheap and effective measures to ensure the safety of your guests. The law does not expect you to eliminate all risk, but you are required to protect people as far as ‘reasonably practicable See | http://www.communities.gov.uk

Fire safety

In 2006 the laws relating to fire safety in England and Wales changed as part of The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order. The changes made replaced the need for certificated, which have now been abolished and no longer have legal status See | http://www.communities.gov.uk/fire/firesafety/firesafetylaw/ and/or visit http://www.fire-risk-assessment-uk.co.uk


Disability Act – Any service provider who provides a service to the public in the UK, whether they charge for it or not, has duties under the Disabilities Discrimination Act (DDA). Service providers only need to make changes to layout, improved signage and information to disabled customers. It’s about what is practical to the service providers individual situation and what resources they may have. You will not be required to make changes that are impractical or beyond their means. See | http://www.direct.gov.uk

Property insurance

You will be required to have adequate Building & Contents Insurance plus Holiday Insurance which includes Public Liability cover. See our Owners section on Self Catering Holiday Home Letting Insurance.

This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.